Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Office Space

Memo: From the desk of:
 
* * *
 It's Summer.

For me, things slow down (kind of) so it is the perfect time to get my life back in order!

Balancing a job, workouts (some days, I try!), bills, laundry, and a social life can start to pile up...

Don't be overwhelmed.  I've got your back!

I like to be organized, in all areas of my life & this week I'll be sharing my tips & tricks for organizing your life.

Today, I'm starting with my office. Take notes.
* * *
...my home away from home...
 
The desk. 
 
I like to look at my office like I look at my house.  Everything has it's own perfect little spot!  Having a clean desk is step one towards getting your office space organized.  So:
  1. Toss unnecessary papers, you don't need those anyway & they just take up space. 
  2. Keep personal papers in a separate drawer, away from your work.  Don't mix work with your personal life, duh.
  3. Store desk supplies according to how often you use them.  Use them everyday?  Those items deserve the top drawer... & so on.
  4. Cords galore.  Nothing feels more like clutter when you see cords all over.  Plug into one power-surge under the desk (if possible) & bundle them together with twist-ties.
* * *
... my office sidekicks...
 
I found these cute file organizers at Target several years ago.  They are a life saver when storing my "to-do" items & my "to-file" items.  This also helps keep the desk top clean.
 
...Master Your To-Do List...

One of the top 5 things successful people start each day with is creating a daily to do list.  I agree.  Knowing what needs to get done each day & seeing it on paper helps you prioritize and get to crossing things off that list! Two of my must haves are my Lilly planner & Sugar Paper 2015 Planner/Calendar (this can also be found at Target).
 
* * *
"Clutter: Anything that stands between you & the life you want to be living." - Peter Walsh
 
One more for the books:
  • Remove all distractions: the less you look at your inbox, the more you will get done.  CLEAN IT OUT & ARCHIVE.
 
Now that you are one step closer to being organized...
 
Decorate.
If you are like me and spend the majority of your time in your "office space" you may want to make it feel homey.   I find that having pictures & a dash of decorations in the space help me relax.  Need ideas on converting your office?  Check out these 54 Ways to spruce up your office space !

* * * 
I challenge you this week to pick a room, or a spot in a room, and clean it up! You'll start to feel a little less stressed one day at a time.  Promise!

Happy organizing!

... you can't reach for something new if your hands are filled with yesterday's junk...
xo
-W

4 comments:

  1. Having an organized workplace truly adds up to your mood in accomplishing your tasks. Like me, I'm always inspired to work when everything around me looks tidy and in their right places. Thank you for sharing these useful tips, Weldon! Happy organizing! :)


    Dan Quarles @ Bundle Bands

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found this post helpful Dan!! This is why I started porch & palette... happy organizing as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A clean office is often a happy office. Begin with one area, and organize the office in a way that makes sense for you because you will be the one who stays there all day. The desk is a good place to start. Ziploc bags and small plastic containers are ideal for keeping small items in one place.

    Derrick George @ ZZone31

    ReplyDelete
  4. Organization should be so obvious and simple, but I'm guilty of making all these fundamental mistakes. In my work, we have a clear desk policy, but the papers and files keep 'breeding'. The cords and cables in particular always make my work station untidy. Simple tips, but they work! In fact, it's now on my to do list!

    Nicholas Taylor @ Vancouver Business Brokers

    ReplyDelete